• Damage to organs, anesthesia complications, and even death2,3,4,5
• Depression, anxiety, guilt, grief, and anger6,7,8,9
Scientific evidence indicates that abortion is more likely to be associated with negative psychological outcomes when compared to miscarriage or carrying an unintended pregnancy to term.10,11,12,13,14
It might feel like abortion is the only answer right this minute, but before you make a decision, get the facts about how an abortion might impact your life, both now and later.
FREE counseling is available at The Pregnancy Clinic. Call or come in to speak with someone who is not connected to your situation financially, prior to scheduling an appointment for an abortion.
1. Wilcox AJ, Weinberg CR, O'Connor JF, et al. Incidence of early loss of pregnancy. N Engl J Med. Jul 28 1988;319(4):189-94. Petrozza, John C. "Recurrent Early Pregnancy Loss." Recurrent Early Pregnancy Loss. Medscape Web site. http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/260495-overview Accessed August 6, 2013.
2. Paul M, Lichtenberg S, Borgatta L, Grimes DA, Stubblefield PG, Creinin MD, eds. Management of Unintended and Abnormal Pregnancy: Comprehensive Abortion Care. UK:Wiley-Blackwell; 2009.
3. Katz V, et al. Comprehensive Gynecology. 5th ed. Philadelphia: Mosby-Elsevier; 2007.
4. Induced Abortion, Patient Education Pamphlet. American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. November 2008.
5. Dilation & Curettage, Patient Education Pamphlet. American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. December 2005.
6. Cougle JR, et al. Depression associated with abortion and childbirth: a long-term analysis of the NLSY cohort. Med Sci Monit. 2003;9(4):105-12.
7. Fergusson DM, et al. Abortion in young women and subsequent mental health. J Child Psychol Psychiatry. 2006;47(1):16-24.
8. Pedersen W. Abortion and depression: a population-based longitudinal study of young women. Scand J Public Health. 2008;36(4):424-8.
9. Rees DI, Sabia JJ. The relationship between abortion and depression: new evidence from the Fragile Families and Child Wellbeing Study. Med Sci Monit. 2007;13(10):430-6.
10. Coleman PK. Resolution of unwanted pregnancy during adolescence through abortion versus childbirth: individual and family predictors and psychological consequences. J Youth Adolesc. 2006;35:903-11.
11. Reardon DC, Coleman PK, Cougle J. Substance use associated with prior history of abortion and unintended birth: a national cross sectional cohort study. Am J Drug Alcohol Abuse. 2004;26:369-83.
12. Cougle J, Reardon DC, Coleman PK. Generalized anxiety associated with unintended pregnancy: a cohort study of the 1995 National Survey of Family Growth. J Anxiety Disord. 2005;19(10):137-42.
13. Broen AN, Moum T, Bodtker AS, Ekeberg O. Psychological impact on women of miscarriage versus induced abortion: a 2-year follow-up study. Psychosom Med. 2004;66(2):265-71
14. Broen AN, Moum T, Bodtker AS, Ekeberg O. The course of mental health after miscarriage and induced abortion: a longitudinal, five-year follow-up study. BMC Med. 2005;3:18.