Which describes your relationship:
- When I share my opinion, my partner listens and tries to understand.
- When I share my opinion, my partner criticizes me.
Does what you say turn into an argument unless you give in or just agree? If you think you need to be careful what you say or if you have just given up speaking your mind, then you may be in a critical relationship.
According to Psychology Today, criticism is destructive to relationships when it is:
- About personality or character, rather than behavior.
- Filled with blame.
- Not focused on improvement.
- Based on only one “right way” to do things.
If you would like more information about healthy & unhealthy relationships, text us: 443.333.8856. We can offer free and confidential services including pregnancy tests, STD/STI testing, and information on abortion procedures, abortion risks, and abortion alternatives. We also have a Life Sense class on relationships: www.lifesenseclasses.org.